SAP is a well-known, global software company. But did you know that…
- SAP stands for Systemanalyse und Programmentwicklung — ’system analysis and program development.’ That was later changed to Systeme, Anwendungen und Produkte in derDatenverarbeitung or “Systems, Applications and Products in Data Processing”?
- SAP’™s first product was SAP R/1, a financial accounting software meant to be part of a real-time business data processing package?
- SAP’™s first client was Imperial Chemical Industries (ICI), a British company that is now a subsidiary of Dutch conglomerate AkzoNobel?
- By the early 1980s, or about ten years after it was founded, SAP had 50 of the largest 100 German companies as customers?
- In 1992, SAP released its first client-server ERP software, SAP R/3,which was later renamed SAP ERP and jump-started the global growth of the company. R/3 helped SAP grow its North American market from close to zero to 44% of total SAP worldwide sales?
- Today, SAP, with its headquarters in Walldorf, Germany, is the fourth-largest software company in the world and the largest in Europe. More than 12 million users utilize SAP software each day. SAP employs over 47,000 workers worldwide?
- SAP Co-CEO Jim Hagemann Snabe is famous for having said: ’œYou can easily buy yourself growth in this industry. We have done the opposite. We have tried to innovate?
- Co-founder and former chairman Hasso Plattner is a major backer of scientific and tech research. He is an avid golfer and also owns a chunk of the San Jose Sharks hockey team. Aside from business, Plattner also competes with Oracle chief Larry Ellison in yacht racing?